Sunday, April 25, 2010

i know, it's been a while..

But I have a very legitimate reason. Student teaching. The past four months have been completely dedicated to torturing myself. But that's not what I wanted to blog about because technically I have one more week. I just wanted to get into words the crazy weekend we had. It all revolves around our wonderful dog, Roxy.She has had a rough week. First on Tuesday she comes home from the farm with a long scratch on her belly (we are guessing is from barb wire). Kade didn't take her to the farm on Wednesday so she could heal. But on Wednesday night there was a terrible storm and it was pretty cold. Roxy came in Thursday morning whining and crying, because there was obviously something wrong.
Kade took her to the vet that day to figure out what was going on. Well, the vet gave him some antibiotics and said she was probably sore from the cut and was being a baby. She wasn't being a baby.. she kept getting worse and worse. She would barely eat or drink, she was really stiff, couldn't bend over, and had trouble breathing. Last night was when we really started to worry, she wouldn't come out of her dog house or even lift her head to look at us. We couldn't think what to do because it was a Saturday night in Winnemucca. Everyone was asleep.
I was able to find online an animal emergency place in Reno that was open all weekend 24 hours.
We were so worried about her dying that night that we drove to Reno at midnight. When we got there we found out through some x-rays that the area around her lungs and heart were completely filled with fluid. The vet at first thought it was an infectious fluid from the cut and said she wouldn't make it! We were so depressed.. I can't believe how attached you can get to a dog.
But the vet didn't give up, she extracted some of the fluid and found out that it was blood. She came into the room and asked if Roxy had any access to rat decon. Unfortunately there is some at the farm and apparently dogs love the taste of it. While it was still bad news, she was going to live. The vet gave her plasma and vitamin K and watched over her for the night. We left the vet in a much better mood. This morning we got a call from the vet letting us know that Roxy was doing much better and we could take her home.
We are so glad we took her to Reno, because she probably wouldn't have made it until Monday. While she is still recovering, she is doing much better and soon we will have our dog back. :)

1 comment:

Megan and Jonny said...

First of all, congrats on finishing up your student teaching! That's awesome!

I'm so sorry about Roxy--those pets really do feel like part of the family. I bawled for a week after my 16 year old cat had to be put down. So glad everything is okay!